The Allan Cup was first presented in 1908 by Sir H. Montague Allan, a Montreal sportsman and financier who donated the trophy to serve as a replacement for the Stanley Cup when it became emblematic of professional hockey supremacy in Canada.
Prior to the amalgamation of the twin city of Port Arthur and Fort William, hockey rivalry was the mainstay of sports in the Thunder Bay area. These two cities were always competing for the chance to represent this part of Canada in the Allan Cup finals. Between the years 1924 and 1944 the Port Arthur Seniors made it to the Allan Cup finals a total of 8 times, emerging victorious 4 times.
Of the four titles won by the Port Arthur Seniors, two were won back to back in 1925 and 1926, with another victory in 1929 and their final title won in 1939. In their fight for the 1924-25 season title, they defeated the Regina Vics in a 2-game total point series 7-5; the Coleman Tigers in a 2-game series, and Toronto Varsity 4-0 and 3-2 in a best-of-three final series. In their claim to victory in the 1925-26 season, they defeated the Regina Vics 7-5 in a 2-game total point series and defeated Toronto Varsity for the Cup with scores of 1-0, 3-2 and 3-3 in overtime.
The 1928-29 season had a very exciting finale, filled with controversy as well as the customary hockey excellence. After defeating the Regina Vics, Port Arthur lost to Trail by a score of 6-1 in a sudden-death western final. But the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association declared the contest "no game" due to the fact that Trail used an ineligible player--defenceman, Howard Anderson. In the sudden-death re-match, Port Arthur crushed Trail 6-0. Against St. Xavier in the Cup final, the Ports tied the first game, and then won the next two matches 7-2 and 3-0.
Their 1939 Allan Cup victory would prove to be the last for the Port Arthur Seniors, as the 1970 amalgamation of the cities would also see the fusion of the Seniors and the Fort William Beavers form the Thunder Bay Twins, a team that would continue the rich senior hockey heritage established by its precursors.
Back Row left to right:
Ed Carpenter (Coach), J.J. Hickey(Secretary), E. Sutton (trainer),
Front Row left to right:
E.C.'Ted' Whalen, Albert Pudas, Alex Gray, Bill Brydge, Lorne Chabot, Gordon Wilson, Wilf L'Heureux, Art Chapman, Danny Cox
Inducted into the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame, September 25, 1982