top of page

An accomplished long-distance runner, Tommy was a prominent competitor at the annual Times-Journal 10-Mile Road Race during the 1920s. During and following his competitive running career, he was an avid builder of sports, serving the community of Port Arthur for over 30 years.

Never giving up his love for long-distance running, Tommy served as an official and judge for races throughout his life. During the 1920s Tommy was involved with the Thunder Bay Branch of the Amateur Athletic Union of Canada, serving on the Executive and as Vice-President in 1928. It was also during the late 20s that Tommy was active in skiing, serving as one of the founders of the Port Arthur Ski Club in 1929.

It was during the 30s that Tommy began work with aquatics, serving as Chairman of the Athletics Committee of the Port Arthur Gyro Club, organizing the "Learn to Swim" campaign held during the summer for local children. He also served as the Chairman of the Boulevard Lake Aquatic Club.

Very active in municipal government, Tommy served as an Alderman for Port Arthur during the 1930s through to the 1950s, as well as on the Port Arthur Parks Board. It was while in this capacity that Tommy was instrumental in the development of various sports complexes and parks, including Queen's, Bourke, and Court Street. In 1951 he realized his dream on an enclosed athletic field with the opening of the Port Arthur Stadium in 1951.

Inducted into the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame, September 28, 1991

Thomas "T.J." McAuliffe

bottom of page