Benedict (Benny) Woit was born in 1928 in Fort William and it was there where he developed the outstanding defensive skills which led him to an exceptional hockey career playing on championship teams at both the amateur and professional level.
Benny made his way up through the amateur ranks with such local teams as the Westfort Bruins, Great lakes Midgets and the Port Arthur Flyers. During his time with these teams he earned three consecutive city championships and one district title. In 1946 Benny went on to play with the Toronto St. Michael's College Juniors who became the 1946-47 Memorial Cup Champions. Returning home the following season, Benny once again became part of amateur hockey history playing with the Port Arthur West End Bruins, who claimed the 1947-48 memorial Cup title.
Following that season, Benny began his professional career with Indianapolis of the AHL, who emerged as League Champions. In 1950 Benny broke into the NHL with the Detroit Red Wings, where he served as an outstanding defenseman until 1955. It was during Benny's stay in Detroit that the Red Wings dominated the Stanley Cup honours. Benny's defensive skills contributed to the Red Wings' 3 Stanley Cup victories in 1951-52, 1953-54 and 1954-55. Following the 1955 season, Benny went on to play his final season in the NHL with the Chicago Black Hawks.
For the next 10 years Benny continued to play hockey in the AHL, WHL and EHL. He was selected as an EHL All-Star team player for 4 years and coach for 3 years, with his team winning the EHL league championship title in 1963.
In 1967 Benny returned home where he coached the Fort William Hurricanes for 5 years, leading them to two local championship titles. From 1972-75 Benny played for the Port Arthur Senior Bearcats, before retiring from the game after more than 35 years of competitive hockey action. Throughout his career Benny truly earned the pride and respect of his hometown fans as they watched him become a part of so many great moments in hockey.
Inducted into the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame, September 26, 1987