Born on Christmas Eve in Dryden, Ontario in 1941, Wayne Muloin holds the distinction as being the first player from that town to successfully graduate to the ranks of the National Hockey League. At 5'7" and 175 pounds Wayne's precision hip checking and endurance led him to a successful 19 season professional hockey career.
Learning and developing his skills in the minor leagues of his home town during the 1950s he captained the Bruins Bantam team to the city championships and was awarded the most valuable player trophy. In 1958-59, although still a junior, Wayne gained valuable experience playing with the Dryden Rocket senior team of the rural league.
In 1959 Wayne joined the Edmonton Oil Kings Junior A Hockey club. During his 3 seasons with the Oil Kings, Wayne's team won the Western Canada final three consecutive years and were runners up each time in the Memorial Cup finals. In his final season with the Oil Kings, Wayne was made captain of the team.
Wayne went on to enjoy a professional hockey career that saw him defend the blue line for such teams as the Edmonton Flyers, Cincinnati Wings, St. Paul Rangers of the Central Professional Hockey League, Vancouver Canucks of the Western Hockey League, and the Providence Rhode Island Reds American Hockey League club. While with the St. Paul Rangers in 1964-65 the team was awarded the Adams Cup emblematic of the Central Hockey League title.
A two time team MVP with the Rhode Island Reds, Wayne appeared in 3 regular season games with the Detroit Red Wings, joining the NHL full-time in 1969, at the age of 29, with the Oakland Seals. With the Oakland and California franchise for 2 seasons and was traded in March of 1971 to the Minnesota North Stars. From Minnesota Wayne went on to the Cleveland Barons of the A.H.L and then to the Cleveland Crusaders of the newly formed World Hockey Association. Following a season with Edmonton he returned to Rhode Island in the AHL retiring with them in 1977 rounding out close to two decades of a professional hockey career.
Inducted into the Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame, September 28, 1996